The brother printers are one of the most reliable, desk-friendly, convenient yet functional printers. It is more than you can print, you can also scan or fax, be it any model by the brand, brother MFC-j6920dw, brother MFC 7360n, brother MFC l2710dw or any other. However, like every other device, it is possible to have few technical glitches depending on how you use it and ho you have handled the machine.
This is one of the reason machines like printers come with the manuals or a guide book. However, not all manuals will have the troubleshooting steps for every issue you face. One of the common issues to occur is brother printer won’t scan, if you are using Windows 10 operating system. Well, in this case, it can be possible that the driver’s network settings to scan are incorrect. So, in this article, you will learn the troubleshooting steps to fix the brother printer won’t scan error.
How to fix Brother Scanner not working on Windows10?
You can follow the steps to fix the brother printer won’t scan error:-
- Make sure the Brother printer is turned on without any error: You need to check the display of your Brother Printer, if any errors messages come like paper jam, ink/toner empty, and if there’s a specific error message such as brother printer won’t scan, troubleshoot to clear it.
- Ensure that the internet connection is proper: If you see brother printer prints but won’t scan error then you need to check the internet gets to connect to the printer. Configure your Brother Printer if you wish to use the network scanning tool as it works from a server computer, not from the client PCs or Laptop.
- Check that the Brother Printer is available to take the printing commands: Just open the “Printer’s properties” and click on “Start” and then tap on “Control Panel”. After this, you have to click on the “Hardware and Sound” option followed by “Devices and Printers. Just right-click on your Brother Printer and select the “Printer Properties. Now, you have to tap on the “Print Test” page to check if your printer is ready to print or not.
You may also read: How to scan from brother printer to computer?
- You have to check the scanner driver of Brother Printer: Be it a Mac device or Windows 10, you need to open the scanner list and click on the “Start” and then “Control Panel”. Type “Scanner” in the Control Panel search box. After this, you need to tap on the option labeled as “View scanners and cameras” option. You need to check whether the scanner icon exist or not, if it doesn’t exist, you have to install the scanner driver. Now, go to the ‘Downloads” section on the Brother website. You have to download the “Full Driver & Software” package and then follow the on-screen prompts.
- The IP address of your Brother Printer should be checked properly: If brother scanner not working, then you need to obtain its IP address by printing a network configuration list that prints a report of network print server settings configurations. For the printing configuration list, click on the “Menu” option from Printer, tap on the “Print Reports” and after this choose the ‘Network Config” and click on the “Ok” option. You need to press on the “Start” button, and then press the “Stop/Exit”.
- Set the IP address of your scanner driver: For this, you have to open the “Scanner Properties” and click on the “Start” option and tap on the “Control Panel. Just type “Scanner” in the search box and tap on the “View scanners and cameras”. Select your scanner and click on the “Properties” button, if you see the User account control screen, just click on the “Continue” and enter the admin password. Tap on the “Network Settings” option and select the option named as “Specify your machine by address” and enter the IP address and click on “OK”.
- You have to confirm all the Firewall settings: The brother printer won’t scan error can be caused by Firewall as it may reject the network connection that is required for the network scanning software to work properly. To fix this, you need to disable the firewall from your computer and try to scan it again. If it works even after disabling the firewall, then you can disable it anytime when you wish to scan or adjust the firewall settings.
- Make sure that the control center is running: You have to click on the “Start” option and select the “All Apps” option. After this, tap on the “Brother” and choose the option labeled as “Brother Utilities”. You have to tap on the Control Center option and try to scan again. Check the scanner driver installed properly and opens the “Scanner Properties”. Click on the “Network Settings” tab from the Network scanner properties option. Select the option to specify your machine by address and enter the IP address and click on the “OK” option.
If you still face difficulties to fix the brother printer won’t scan error, then we recommend you to visit Brother Printer Support page via its official website or you can also dial the Customer Support number available on the website itself.
Related Article – I can print but cannot scan via network. (For Windows)